👩💻 Web World and Cooperative Computing
> an introduction for artists and creative practitioners and those new to building websites, or a radical re-introduction to those with previous experience. The workshop will begin with an examination of the web’s history, including early browsers and net.art to contemporary approaches to web design and creating online space. The workshop will start with the basics of creating a website with HTML and CSS, and work with participants to construct their own online homes. Along the way we’ll cover semantic HTML, brutalist design, hosting, resilient and simple approaches to creating long-lasting spaces, and new protocols and online communities exploring web minimalism, permacomputing and the ‘slow web’ movement.
- Gossip's Web - the directory of the handmade internet
- Low Tech Magazine - online magazine dedicated to minimal, old and solarpunk technology, hosted on a solar-powered server
- Elliott.computer - continuously updated personalized homepage
- Taper web zine - a journal of computational literary work
- the html review - journal of web-based literature
- Low Tech Webring - community of minimal tech artists, writers, designers
- Web Design in 4 Minutes - justify text, make it readable, minimal css
- Hundred Rabbits is a bit more stylish but mostly simple this way
- Text-only NPR
- Tim Berners-Lee is the inventor of the modern web.
- Top 10 Web Design Styles of 1993 - Olia Lialina article
- HTML Color Codes - simple useful utility
- Under Construction - article on the 'always under construction' web era of Geocities, etc.
- My Blog Is A Digital Garden - on the concept of digital gardening
- HTML Energy - community and podcast dedicated to coding with html and css
- Sounds of a Revolution - class site for Ari Melenciano’s course at Hunter College
- tehn - electronic composer
- Midnight Pub - Gemini and HTML (b)logs recently updated
- A Website is a room - descriptions and links to favorite online spaces
- snarkmarket - blog of novelist Robin Sloan